The first time I ever had Baklava it was love at first bite. Almost every trip I make to Neomonde in Raleigh results in me leaving with 1 or 2 variations of their bite size baklava treats. This weekend, I decided to try to make a comparable bite size dessert on my own, inspired by traditional Baklava. Because it turned out to be quite delicious, I’ve decided to share it with you!
½ cup walnuts
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sugar
12 mini fillo dough cups
1 tsp cinnamon
Makes 1 dozen
Time to make: 30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place your walnuts on a cookie sheet and place in oven for 7-10 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from oven and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add cinnamon to walnuts in mixing bowl and crush walnuts. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, honey, and sugar. Place on stove over medium low heat for 3 minutes stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place fillo dough shells on a plate and spoon walnut mixture into cups.
- Pour ½ tsp of syrup into cups on top of walnuts. Syrup should drain into the shell. Place cups into fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove cups from fridge and add remainder of syrup into cups.
- Store Baklava cups in fridge.
If you like Baklava, then you’ll like these! And they are much easier to prepare and take a fraction of the time. You can also try them with pistachios and cashews. Or mix all three types of nuts into one cup! Try them out and let me know what you think!
Bows and arrows,